PELSB Approved Cultural Competency Training for K12 Educators
Cultural Competency Training for K-12 Educators is a Minnesota Professional Educators Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB) approved series of online modules that meet k-12 teacher licensure renewal requirements in cultural competency. This 100% online series will provide for the following learning outcomes:
- Module 1 - Understand the contributions and lifestyles of various racial, cultural and economic groups in our society.
- Module 2 – Understand how to recognize and deal with dehumanizing biases, discrimination and prejudices in the classroom.
- Module 3 - Understand the cultural content, worldview, and concepts that comprise Minnesota-based American Indian tribal government, languages and culture.
- Module 4 – Understand how to recognize and deal with institutional and personal racism.
- Module 5 – Understand religious diversity and recognize and address misconceptions as they arise.
- Module 6 – Explore strategies for supporting LGBTQ+ students.
- Module 7 - Know the process of second language acquisition and develop strategies to support the learning of students whose first language is not English.
- Module 8 – Know about areas of exceptionality in learning, including disabilities, perceptual difficulties, and special physical or mental challenges, gits and talents.
This online course provides ample opportunity for interactions with the instructor and other educators through online discussion posts. Modules will involve reading and reacting to articles, watching videos, reviewing resources, reflecting on checklists; all to encourage the application of learning to the educator’s specific classroom environment.
Completion of all modules will result in PELSB approved competency training and 8 Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
Cost: $249 (or $225 for groups of at least 3 people registering at the same time, please call 952.358.8343 for group registration.)
Time: Online at your convenience. Course must be completed within 4-week window. Online instructions and access to the course will be provided in a confirmation email after registration.
For more information, please contact Normandale Continuing Education email@example.com or 952.358.8343